Performing the art of Wedding Photography has been the primary goal of this Spanish photographer. His unique and innovative style has made him a reference for global wedding photography. Jose Luis is the owner, together with his son Jose Luis Guardia Vázquez, of the studio Xpression International.
In 2009 the Federation of European Photographers (FEP) chose him as European Social Photographer of the Year and after this Jose Luis was named European Professional Photographer of the Year. In 2011 he was awarded the American WPPI Photographer of the Year as recognition for his international career.
Jose Luis has been a winner of numerous international Wedding awards but more recently he won the Australian International Aperture Awards 2010, a United States National Award, Grand Imaging Awards 2012 from PPA and the Best International Contemporary Wedding from the Irish IPPA National Awards 2012.
He has also achieved grand international recognitions in other photographic categories, like being the winner of the UK’s BIPP Professional Awards 2012 in Architecture and in Illustrative. Jose Luis has won, for three consecutive years, the FEP European Photographer of the Year in various categories. Likewise Jose Luis has achieved numerous 1st placings in WPPI and various Gold Awards in the FIOF International Awards of Italy.
Jose Luis has been distinguished with titles from Master QEP of Europe by FEP, Fellowship in the United Kingdom by MPA, Fellowship in Ireland by IPPA and AEPA by WPPI in the USA. Recently the Professional Photographers of America have recognized Jose Luis as Medalist Platinum.
At present he is speaking at conferences and seminars all around the globe and judges important photographic contests in Europe, America and Australia.
Lens: 15 mm
Photographer: Jose Luis Guardia Vázquez, my son.
Food: Spanish Ham.
Country: Spain and Italy.
Hotel: The Oberoi Amarvilas, Agra.
Book: "Càndid o l'optimisme", Voltaire.
1. What organisations are you a member of? In Europe, the Federation of Professional European Photographers (FEP), British Institute of Professional Photography (BIPP), Master Photographers Association (MPA), Irish Professional Photographers Association (IPPA). In the United States, Professional Photographers of America (PPA), and Wedding & Portrait Photographers International, (WPPI).
2. Do you have any workshops on the horizon? Yes, this year my son and I are going to make a series of workshops all over the world. Starting in Portugal, continuing in Mexico. We will be going from coast to coast in the United States (New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco) and finishing in China, (Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong). We will soon give all the details on our education webpage: www.xpressionworkshops.com
3. Where are you from? Granada, a beautiful city in the south of Spain.
4. What's the most valuable thing you own? (material or not) Sincerity and honesty, but my family is my primary treasure.
5. What were your aspirations growing up? To keep on doing what I like to do and be able to live by it.
6. What's your attitude to work? My work is my grand passion, this always makes me try to find the fun and creative side in every photo shoot. In this aspect, I feel privileged.
7. Who's style dead or alive do you admire? I think that everyone who has contributed to the world of art is worth admiration, so I could honestly not give a particular name.
8. Where do you like to dine around the world? Anywhere you can eat fine food is good. Sometimes we have found places to be picturesque, with magnificent food, although I have to say that I love Spanish gastronomy and always miss it on my journeys.
9. Outside of work , what are your interests? I love taking care of the garden and above all, enjoying free time with my family. Although to be sincere, I love my work so much, it is difficult for me to separate work and time for family.
10. Did you go to school to study photography? Not directly. I come from the advertising world, where I started as a sort of creative and after that I worked as an art director. In publicity is where I developed my photographic concepts, but where I really learn on a daily basis, is working with my son, Jose Luis.
11. One way you market your photography? My websites and social sites.
12. Which 5 words would your friends use to describe you? My friends describe me as, sincere, creative, ambitious , loyal and “weird”.